Thursday, August 28, 2008

My Kaossilator is trying to Kill Me.


Korg KAOSSILATOR
Originally uploaded by skratchworx
I like gadgets of all sorts. The gadget you see here is known as a Korg Kaossilator, and I have a theory that this thing will kill me. Granted I don’t think it will kill me in any active way. I am not suggesting that it will sprout arms and legs, and strangle me in my sleep. It's plan is far more seductive.

You see, the Kaossilator is a little digital synthesizer, that sounds ok(it's digital, not analog), but it is horribly fun. It loops up to 8 bars of sounds which you trigger via its touch screen. This AA battery consuming Yellow Demon can make electronic music on the fly, and with very little practice, this can be accomplished using only one hand.

I love this thing, but its homicidal nature comes in the form of a headphone jack. You see, my car has an Audio-In Jack (Thank You iPod). This means I can create cute sonic tunes, or oppressive noise soundscapes with one hand, and operate a 3000 lb. box of death (known as the Scion Xb) with the other.

Is this Dangerous? Yes. Is this Stupid? Most certainly, but god help me it is fun. I hope I am a good enough driver to be able to handle this odd form of multi-tasking. If not, there is one comforting thought that helps me sleep. If I meet my maker with a Kaossilator in my hand, at least I will go to the great beyond with my own personally crafted soundtrack. It's not much, but it helps.

1 comment:

**5p34k1nt0ngu3z** said...

I just had a chance to play with one of these extensively last weekend. I concur wholeheartedly with your sentiments. While not everyone could create with this thing, I think most folks would find that this little $200 instrument could open up a lot of (musical) doors.

Check it out.