Friday, November 14, 2008

The Final Post

Post 23, otherwise known as Session 9. Ok, we have come to the end, and I have to say I am a little relieved. It has been fun, but I am ready to take a break. OK, let’s get onto the post.

1. What were your favorite discoveries or exercises on this learning journey?

I would have to say del.icio.us, since it was a service I had never used before, and it seems like it could be really useful. I think MOLDI is pretty fascinating as well, and I think it could be very exciting as more titles become available.

2.How has this program assisted or affected your lifelong learning goals?

It was great learning about these new technologies. I am very much a gadget and technology person, but with the amount of stuff coming out, it is impossible to keep track of everything. Learn & Play gave me an opportunity to explore some technologies I wasn’t familiar with at all (del.icio.us), and some that I had heard of but had never personally used (Podcast & Twitter). Overall, this was a great usage of my time.

3. Were there any take-aways or unexpected outcomes from this program that surprised you?

I think there was a good deal more staff participation than I was expecting. It led to some good interaction with my Co-Workers. Other than that, there wasn’t any huge surprises.

4. What could we do differently to improve upon this program’s format or concept?

Overall I liked the format. It was fun, but there was still accountability. There were some assignments that didn’t suit me (Twitter), but I can see how it helped some of my Co-Workers, so it all seemed well planned out. 23 things seemed like a bit much. Honestly, if it was 10 things, I think it would be easier to keep up enthusiasm, which I saw waning a bit towards the end. 23 things is a good chunk to chew on, and I think smaller amounts might led to even greater participation and enthusiasm.

5. If we offered another discovery program like this in the future, would you again chose to participate?

Sure. I wouldn’t want to do this all the time, but I think one or two programs like this a year would be great. As I mentioned in the last answer, I think less things would be better. I may be a black sheep for saying this, but I don’t feel like the “Big Prizes” are completely necessary. Yes, Prizes get people to participate, but some of this technology is valuable for us to know, regardless of rather we win or not. I thought parts of this program were rewarding, and I would hope people would participate in future programs like this rather there were prizes or not.

OK Folks, For the few of you that have stumbled upon this, I would like to bid you all adieu. It has been fun while it lasted, but I am ready to go back into my introvert's cave. I am happy to say that I am back to writing fiction after a few dry months, and I am working on recording some new Soundscapes locally in my bedroom, and in Chicago (My wife gets the spare room for sewing). Overall, I am very excited for 2009, as it is shaping up to be a very productive year for me. This has been my Learn & Play blog, and until another CML blog based program pops up, this will be cold. Thank You, and try and be kind to each other.

-Timothy

No comments: